Friday, April 20, 2007

Purged U.S. Attorneys Slam Gonzales Testimony

from Think Progress

Purged U.S. Attorneys Slam Gonzales Testimony

Attorney
General Alberto Gonzales testified yesterday that the firings of eight
U.S. Attorneys was “justified and should stand.” Now those attorneys
are reacting.

Former Washington U.S. Attorney John McKay:

Gonzales cited McKay’s authorship of a letter
criticizing delays in implementing a law enforcement
information-sharing program, as well as comments he made to the Seattle
P-I last fall about the staffing levels in his office.

“Generally I recollect there being serious concerns about his judgment,” Gonzales told the Senate Judiciary Committee. […]

I think it’s a sad day for the Department of Justice,”
said McKay, who previously represented the Western District of
Washington. “The attorney general missed an opportunity to testify with
honor.”

Asked to elaborate, McKay declined, saying, “The senators savaged him enough. I

certainly don’t want to talk about his absurd allegations. He’s
obviously so disconnected he has no idea what my performance was like
and what my judgment was like, and I’ll just leave it at that
.”

Former New Mexico U.S. Attorney David Iglesias:

Iglesias watched the hearings from a naval base at Newport, R.I. He’s finishing a naval reserve deployment and called the hearings “painful to watch.”

“I can only liken Mr. Gonzales’ testimony to a bloodied swimmer in a shark tank. He’s really getting beat up,” Iglesias said. […]

“Now we’re hearing from the A.G. that he apologized on how this was
handled. That doesn’t quite get us to where we need to go which was
that they shouldn’t have done it. Kyle Sampson stated that under oath a
couple of weeks ago, that the Department of Justice should have never
gone down this path and if he had it to do over he would have never put
me on that list,” Iglesias said.

No comments:

CONTACT

adamhollandblog [AT] gmail [DOT] com
http://www.wikio.com