I've made the disturbing discovery that Steve Campbell, the "9/11 truth activist" in question, is not only telecasting anti-Semitic material on his local public access station, but may, in fact, be working in concert with a neo-Nazi. The neo-Nazi in question, Mark Farrell distributes Nazi and racist videos through a company called "Honest Media Today" in Cincinnati. His oeuvre includes such blood libel propaganda as "Ritual Murder Revisited: The Hidden Cult" and "Human Sacrifice among the Fanatical Hasidic Jews and Other Cults from Ancient Times to the Present", as well as "The Truth about 9-11: How Jewish Manipulation Killed Thousands", "The Hitlerian Homily", and "Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out--Again--on DVD: A 22-Year Veteran U.S. Congressman Exposes Israel's Lobby". He also promotes material supporting Matt Hale, the racist leader convicted of soliciting the murder of a federal judge. More to the point, Mark Farrell distributes "Judea Declares War on Germany", the Holocaust-denying, Protocols-promoting video produced by the Adelaide Institute which Steve Campbell wants to telecast to his neighbors in Colorado.
Farrell, in an act of support for Campbell, has posted on his blog this request for his supporters to advocate for the telecast of the film. Farrel describes Campbell as his "colleague", and states that Campbell "was previously successful with putting some of my other DVDs ... on public access TV there", adding ominously "as have an increasing number of others across the U.S." Farrel goes on to state that Campbell "wrote to the newspaper there, and had a letter published called "Defending Holocaust Revisionists."
Farrel follows with this pitch:
Grassroots TV is having second-thoughts about allowing this video to be aired. (Legally, they might actually be required, I believe, if they're viewed as public access TV as part of cable; but that doesn't mean they won't fight it.) Please consider writing the Grassroots TV board of directors - DO NOT BE RUDE - and kindly request that they allow this video to be aired in the interest of fair play: Everyone has seen the opposing views from elementary school to college, and many people are curious as to what revisionists believe. PLEASE, take a couple minutes and send these gentlemen a brief letter, asking that they honor our cherished First Amendment rights and allow others to get a glimpse of opposing viewpoints. Thanks for any help with this matter.
He then provides the names and email addresses of the Board of Directors of Grassroots TV and a boilerplate sane-sounding letter, which would certainly be of use to those who might have difficulty composing a sane-sounding letter.
After pondering the thought of neo-Nazis "honor(ing) our cherished First Amendment rights", let's take a sobering look at this. Campbell and his supporters sometimes claim to be peace activists who just wants to publicize a range of opinions in the name of "free speech" and sometimes own up to actually advocating the extremist material they broadcast. These shifting arguments, designed both to confuse debate and appeal to different audiences, appear to be following Farrell's strategy.
Farrell, on his blog, implies knowing Campbell and states that Campbell has already telecast some of his videos on Grassroots TV. He also claims that he has supporters in other areas of the country engaged in similar public access telecasts. This raises several questions:
1) How closely is Steve Campbell working with the neo-Nazi activist Mark Farrell? Why does Farrell refer to Campbell as a "colleague"? Is their connection merely commercial or are they working in concert?
2) According to Farrell, Campbell has already telecast several "Honest Media Today" videos on Grassroots TV. What neo-Nazi material has Campbell already had shown on Grassroots TV? Is Grassroots TV aware that it may already have telecast programs produced and/or distributed by neo-Nazis? Do they have a written policy with respect to the telecast of hate speech or pro-hate group propaganda?
3) Farrel claims to have other "colleagues" acting similarly in other locations. Who and where are they? What have they telecast and what impact has this had?
4) Do Campbell's friends and supporters in the Roaring Fork Peace Coalition (RFPC) know of Campbell's connections with neo-Nazis? Sue Gray, who is on the Board of Directors of the RFPC has seen the Holocaust denial video at the root of the current controversy and expressed support for its telecast and perhaps some of its ideas (I say "perhaps" because her arguments are a bit circular, or at least non-linear, on this point. Her comments to my earlier post on this subject are instructive.) Is she, and are the other board members, aware of the source of this and other videos Campbell has been promoting? Do Gray and the other RFPC board members support the content of this material or not? What actions have they taken in response to Campbell promoting it?
5) Do the Aspen Times, Aspen Daily News and Glenwood Springs Post Independent, who have published letters from Campbell containing Holocaust denial and other anti-Semitic material, know of his neo-Nazi connections? Do they have a policy with respect to publishing hate speech or promoting hate groups?
Campbell has apparently been going down a path from peace advocate to anti-Semite for quite some time. As I previously indicated, he has promoted Holocaust denial in letters to editor of the Aspen Daily News. He has sent anti-Semitic email to his neighbors. He has published letters to the editors of the Aspen Times and Glenwood Springs Post Independent linking to anti-Semitic websites. He has shown 9/11 conspiracy videos and, possibly, neo-Nazi produced videos, at a public library and on a local TV station. None of this has attracted much attention to Campbell. Only now, with his attempt to telecast the Adelaide Institute Holocaust denial video, has he attracted the attention he perversely desires. Although it is a shame to give Campbell what he wants in that regard, or to give publicity to neo-Nazi propaganda, it would be worse to allow this material to flow unanswered and unacknowledged to an innocent audience. I call upon Steve Campbell, his supporters, and those he has drawn into this mess (including the Roaring Fork Peace Coalition, Grassroots TV, and Aspen Times) to respond to my specific questions and clarify where they stand with respect to his promotion of neo-Nazi propaganda.
I also ask that anyone with information concerning other public access television broadcasts of this sort of material post a comment to this blog. This can be done anonymously.
If you would prefer to contact me via email, send a message to email@example.com .
[CORRECTION 10/13/2007: THE ORIGINAL OF MARK FARRELL'S APPEAL ON BEHALF OF CAMPBELL IS AVAILABLE HERE, ON HIS "HONEST MEDIA TODAY" WEBSITE. ALTHOUGH THE BLOG DVX MEA LVX: an ethno-racialist's blog POSTED FARRELL'S LETTER IN THE FIRST PERSON, WITHOUT ATTRIBUTION OR COMMENT, I CANNOT BE CERTAIN THAT IT WAS POSTED BY FARREL HIMSELF. IT MAY, IN FACT, HAVE BEEN COPIED BY SOMEONE ELSE FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTING. -- A.H.]